Saturday, February 2, 2008

You Can Do It!

Just a quick post as I wait for a shuttle to La Guardia, after having testified yesterday before the New York State Assembly Health Committee. They are considering a package of bills that would curtail some to the excesses of pharmaceutical marketing, and I was asked to retell the story of how I had been paid to get doctors to prescribe more Effexor.

The AARP (American Association of Retired Persons) was out in force, and they quoted the following disturbing e-mail that they had somehow obtained through their channels. I'm not sure which company was involved, but it is a pep talk from a sales manager to drug reps out in the field:

"Our goal is 50 or more scripts per week for each territory...If you are not achieving this goal, ask yourself if those doctors that you have such great relationships with are being fair to you. Hold them accountable for all of the time, samples, lunches, dinners, programs, and past preceptorships that you have provided or paid for and get the business!! You can do it!"

No comment required.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another reason why I'm glad I don't see those people in my office. Don't forget, "The reps are always the last to know." http://www.interactmd.com

Anonymous said...

It would be very instructive to see what goes on "behind the scenes" at pharma marketing meetings and in their memo to reps.However, your reporting of a purported pep talk is basically hearsay and there are reasons for its judicial exclusion in legal proceedings.

Anonymous said...

ahh the hypocrisy of the AARP. I would be actually interested in what they had to say if they came out against medicare D IN THE FIRST PLACE, based on the banning of the feds to negiotiate drug prices in total for this program (like the VA). Whatever negatives there are to the VA, drug prices are not one of them. But no, AARP saddled up to the pharma lobbied trough like everybody else for their cut of the slop. Now they are questioning pharma tactics AFTER MEDICARE D WENT INTO EFFECT. Excuse me while I go vomit.

Anonymous said...

The words in red in this post is why the industry is viewed as it is today.

Tiny Shrink said...

That email, if it is what AARP says it is, is about the more frightening thing I've read all day. Sadly, I shouldn't be surprised by it, but it is still shocking to see it written like that.