Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Blogging from Wyoming

I've been on vacation with my wife in Wyoming for the last week and will resume my blogging duties on Thursday. For those of you planning a trip out here, here are my top five suggestions.

1. Enroll your kids in summer camp--which we did. It was amusing to see large families making their way up the mountains at 8,000 feet of elevation--"I can't believe we're going on another hike!" "It's not a hike, it's a walk."

2. Spend a couple of days in Jackson acclimatizing to the altitude--which we didn't. Our first few hikes felt like climbing up from Everest base camp without oxygen.

3. Rent a motor boat at Signal Mountain Lodge and cruise around Jackson Lake. It's the best way to see the Tetons up close in complete solitude, since you can beach the boat at any one of numerous uninhabited islands on the lake.

4. Hike from Lupine Meadows trailhead to Amphitheater Lake, a 10 mile roundtrip hike, 3000 feet of elevation gain, very strenuous but incredible views along the way and an amazing final destination: a glacial lake surrounded by the highest peaks of the Tetons.

5. If you must visit Inspiration Point and Hidden Falls, avoid the Jenny Lake shuttle (as crowded as Grand Central) but instead park at North Jenny Lodge and hike along the north side of Jenny Lake. Noone else on the trail and stupendous views with every step.

Talk to y'all in a few days!

2 comments:

soulful sepulcher said...

Oh my favorite place! Jenny Lake is one of my favorites. That trip ending with an exit via Yellowstone is something everyone should do. When a person returns home, life is completely back in perspective. One of my daughters moved to Montana as a result of my road trips with them. It's one of the last trips I took with my youngest that I write about.

Thanks for sharing, it brought back memories for me.

suszen said...

Good to read about this article and this article is very nice because Jenny Lake is one of my favorite place. Even I am going to plan for trip of this summer.

================

suszen

Wyoming Alcohol Addiction Treatment